So here we are, at the end of lockdown - the promised utopia. With the "new normal" just around the corner, we chatted to Dr. Mike Banna about how we should approach this new world in order to keep ourselves happy and healthy...
Eating low-calorie meal prep meals can soon become a little dull and repetitive, but, don't worry; we're here to stop that!
Move over plain chicken and broccoli...
Do you fancy something a little different?
This delectable Honey Sriracha Chicken recipe tastes just as good in your tupperware as it does on a dinner plate. A healthy meal prep recipe high in protein, that won't ruin your budget.
We know sticking to a budget and eating healthily can often conflict, but this low-calorie meal prep is packed with over 50g of protein, and less than 325kcal in each meal; trust us when we say cheap meal prep has never tasted so good.
This is not a recipe to elide, pre-heat your oven and throw on that white paper toque. It's time to spice up this week's lunches with Honey Sriracha Chicken!
*recipe makes 4 meals
Here's what you'll need:
- 3 chicken breasts, diced into 1-inch pieces (24 ounce/680g)
- 1 egg white (30g), beaten
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1 1/4 tsp salt, divided
- 2 cups green beans
- 2 tsp sesame oil
HONEY SRIRACHA SAUCE
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds, or as desired
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
Here's how to make it:
- Preheat oven to 200°C/425°F.
- Dip the chicken in the egg whites, then in cornstarch and season with 3/4 tsp salt.
- Grease a large nonstick pan then add the chicken, leaving room for the greens on one end.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven and flip over, then add greens on the other half of the pan and drizzle with 2 tsp sesame oil, and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place back in the oven and cook until the chicken is cooked through, roughly 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk honey, sriracha sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil together until smooth.
- Add the chicken and toss in sauce to coat.
- Serve over brown rice topped with green onions and sesame seeds as desired.